Sunday, July 4, 2010

More Fun Outings

Haley and I met up with an old college bud of mine and her one year old daughter last week and went to the Discovery Place.  I loved the Discovery Place as a kid and thought Haley might be getting to an age where she would enjoy some of the exhibits.  We bought a membership from the Schiele Museum and it includes free admission to several other local museums. 

I packed up Haley’s walker hoping that this would give her more freedom to move around the museum instead of being strapped in the stroller.  I guess she equates the walker with therapy and she flat out refused to even consider using it.  This left me either pushing her in the stroller or walking her myself while holding her hands.  Thank goodness Andrea’s mom was with us and was able to be the stroller wrangler, thanks for your help!!!!!

The downstairs area is more nature type exhibits with aquariums and animal exhibits.  We tried to watch a little show in the rainforest theater, but it really like a rainforest in there, complete with high humidity and heat, and we just couldn’t hang with two toddlers in there.  Haley was very interested in the small fish aquariums, enjoying looking and trying to count the fish.  But dern it, they kept moving making it very difficult to count all the fishies :)  There was a small “touch and feel” tank.  She was mostly interested in playing in the water, not so much interested in touching the fish. 

35850_1533165408797_1224656804_2815677_7521668_n 33400_1533165008787_1224656804_2815674_3887519_n 34926_1533165048788_1224656804_2815675_6695109_n

Upstairs is geared more towards science and technology.  There are lots of hands on activities, a little over our little kiddos heads though.  Its very active and chaotic up there, and Haley enjoyed watching all the other kids play and run-a-muck.  I think in a few years she will really be into this part of the museum, but for now it a little too “old'” for her. 

I wish I had taken more pictures.  Well, actually I didn’t even take these few, Andrea’s mom was photog mostly.  We both had our hands full with our ADD children.  I told Andrea after the outing that I wished we could have spent more time talking and catching up, but I guess that is what happens when you have busy toddlers. 

I am starting to enjoy getting out and doing things like this with Haley.  The fact that she really seems interested in these types of things helps make up for the fact that it is a little more difficult for us to get around.  This non-independent walking stage is difficult to maneuver.  She wants to walk so badly but can’t, can use her walker but won’t, it make it physically stressful for me to try to do it when we are out alone.  We have to take a stroller but don’t have enough hands to walk her and push a stroller when she demands to be taken out.  Its all a learning process that we will navigate through together.   

No comments: