Friday, November 20, 2009

My, How Parenthood Changes You!

I've been thinking a lot lately about my life and how I do more and more things since becoming a parent that I vowed I would never do. I find it kind of comical to look back at my ridiculous ideas and realize now how much parenthood changes you.

I used to hate ANYTHING on my refrigerator. It was literally blank, no magnets, pictures, notes, calendars......NOTHING before having Haley, and even after she was born, I still resisted putting things on the fridge. But then came preschool and craft projects being sent home, and little doodles made while playing in the floor. Next thing I know, my fridge is covered in the handy work of little Haley. And now I proudly cover my once barren fridge with the artwork of Haley and I think it is beautiful!!!

I also used to think kids kissing their parents on the lips was icky. I don't know why, but I did. Well now Haley is really learning to show affection, she has been giving hugs on command for several weeks. Just the other day I asked her for a kiss and she plants her sloppy, slobbery little lips right on mine......I could just eat her up!!! I love those sweet little kisses now and can't get enough!!!!

I once thought it was such a waste of a good day to lay around in your pajamas all day long. Now there is nothing better than spending an entire Sunday in our PJs cuddling, playing and watching football. Who needs to get dressed when you can stay comfy and cosy with your baby??

I thought I would never have my child in daycare. I have to admit, preschool is one of the best things that has ever happened to Haley. Her social skills have improved ten fold and I have to give a ton of credit to her teachers for all of their hard work, it has made all of the difference in the world for her.

Then there are some things I am not so proud of.....

I used to say I would never use television as a babysitter, or a reward, or as a coping mechanism. Well, I'm embarrassed to say, Sesame Street is now a life saver in our house. I don't know how we would make it through getting breakfast or dinner made, stopping out of control temper tantrums and where else would we learn useless and random Spanish vocabulary from our new Sesame Street friend Ovejita. Everything in moderation right?

The germ-phobe in me thought I would wash every single cup, spoon, toy etc that fell on the dirty floor. Who was I kidding, who has time for that crap!!??? I would spend my day at the sink sanitizing things. A quick brush off is good enough for me at this point.

I also thought I would never cave into the habit of fixing more than one meal at a time in order to get Haley to eat. I was always of the mind set you eat what I fix and if you don't eat....too bad. But I am so paranoid because Haley is at risk for kidney problems and an early sign is poor appetite, plus she has been teetering on the low end of the percentile charts for weight, I push food on her constantly. If one food doesn't work I will try another, and another, and another. But I am slowly learning this is just typical toddler behavior and trying not to give into this at every meal.

All in all I think we are doing a pretty good job sticking to our initial parenting philosophy, but we are learning that compromise and improvisation are a big key player. One ideal that I still haven't given into and will fight it to the death.....I will NOT drive a mini-van!!!!!! (disclaimer....sorry mini-van moms, nothing personal, I just can't do it LOL)

No comments: